About Me

My photo
San Luis Obispo, CA, United States
I'm Bailey....more precisely the future Mrs. Bailey Nahrgang. I am head over heels for my man, the amazing Taylor. He rocks at everything. My horses provide me with amazing opportunities and accomplishments. I am about to embark on a year of rodeo, driving, rodeo and oh, more driving. I am blessed beyond belief. I can only hope to grow and learn so much through the next few years. Life is good!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 27 - Mood: Rested, But COLD!

Cold has a new definition in the great state of South Dakota. Temperatures are down in the -30 degrees with wind chill. I will never every complain another day in my life about California weather, you have my word! I've been keeping a list of states I'd prefer to never live in, and although this one is beautiful, I can't say its going to be in my future. So Nikki (my traveling partner lives here), sorry but I'm a wuss, and my horses run better in the non-popsicle form.

Last time I wrote I was a day away from our Ft. Worth, TX run. Well, Nikki and I ran Friday afternoon in a performance and it was decent. 250+ entries and we left in the 13th and 17th position. I was a 17.53 and Nikkie was a 17.60. Although we weren't exactly thrilled with our runs personally, you have to be satisfied that your horses handled the sticky, heavy ground better than a vast majority of the horses. I was pleased to know if they would have had a progressive round like they usually have they would have brought back the top 50 and we would have been it by a long shot! Yay for possibilities!

After Ft. Worth we drove all night, and let me just tell you, when you start your driving just before sunset, and end it just after sunrise, it sure feels like u drove for 4 days straight. Nikki and I were taking 3 mile shifts for driving it seemed. Neither of us could keep an eye open, let alone two! We finally arrived in the great state of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska to be exact.

We slept from about 7 am til noon, got up, showered, ate and headed to the rodeo. Now, for all my Cali followers, just imagine the city of Los Angeles. This rodeo was on the corner of a city block of business building and mini sky-scrapers. The closed down the block and we parked on the asphalt street. The snow and ice was abundant, and the warm-up area was non existent, unless you consider a 20' by 20' grass/ice patch a safe and usable spot. So, here I unloaded Spy, pulled his blanket long enough to saddle and then reblanket. I stretched his neck and legs and said a little prayer - "Dear God, if I was to ever ask for anything, please allow me this miracle. Please keep my frozen, stiff, non-warmed-up pony safe from pulled muscles and anything else treacherous. Oh and if no one else prayed for this yet, can we win?? Thanks! Sincerely and in Jesus name Amen" Well, I was blessed with a safe and clean run. Pretty and fast had no role in it though! Poor spy looked like a bull in a china shop for sure. I kicked to the first barrel in time to pull up again. Mind u the pattern was a low 11 second pattern...I am sure a smooth trot would have been faster than a rough stop/go, stop/go lope. Poor spy only used 10 strides (I counted on the video) for the entire run. He look miserable!! We finished with a time of 11.70 and Nikki was an 11.73 on her palomino "Vanilla". We left there laughing, vowing to never come back to that tiny, mess! It was cold, miserable and although the rodeo was ran well, the accommendations were not worth the hassle. Well, go figure two or three days later Taylor calls to tell me I pull the last whole check! Ha, funniest thing I have heard all week. I write on rodeo off and its my only rodeo check yet! Buah ha ha ha! Spy never ceases to amaze me.

That night we pulled out of town and never thought once to look back. We then became ice road, all-night truckers again. This time we were Rapid City bound. But after the previous night of driving, we made the wise decision to not go all the way in one night. We had a 1 p.m. Deadline. Nikki was letting her sis ride her grey horse at the high school 20x Challenge and we had to make it there by the time it started.
I crawled into bed at a stop we made around Burke, South Dakota at a good friend of Nikki's. Rehme Sutton is the sweetest for letting stay. She tucked us into her bed around 5 a.m. and we set our alarms for 7 a.m. (Ofcourse!). I am thinking at this point rodeo is more of a character building exercise, rather than an actual riding competition. I am thinking if nothing else, I am going to be a weather-handling, truck driving, emotionally-steady son of a gun! I guess either way I win ;-)

So up at 7:30 (late, yes) and on the road again, just can't wait to be on the road again (ha, glad u can't hear me actually singing this!) And on to Rapid. The 20X Challenge didn't go quite as planned for Nikki's sis, but it was her first ever run on Captain, so you had to give her credit there.

Then out to Sturgis we traveled to Nikki's home and boy, was I glad to see a real house! I was gifted the use of my very own room, with a bed, real shower, etc, etc, etc. You know, the stuff at home all of you don't realize how blessed you are to have on a daily basis. I am becoming so excited about the little things, like a constant shower, not an off and on kind of deal, and sinks bigger than the size of an apple, and a porch to put boots instead of a 1' by 2' mat in the door way. Yes, all of these things I once took for granted are now some of the things I look forward to most!

So Nikki and I spent all day Monday resting, and doing just about nothing but some computer and paperwork. It was glorious! Tuesday we were a little more rested so she took me to go wedding dress shopping, and if you can believe it I think I found the one! I am Miss. Indecisive, but this one I pictured myself in walking down the garden at our wedding spot....it truly felt right. I was tickled!
Today (Wednesday) we are at a jackpot in Rapid City, just down the road from the rodeo. The arena is gigantic, like Salinas big arena size! Spy is going to think he died and went to heaven after our Barbie pen in Lincoln, NE. So I am running both horses, and hopefully proving to myself I need to run Angel lady at Rapid. I am excited, but I can clearly see this is going to be an allllllll day affair. So, I sit and wait ands think, and dream and do all the things us barrel racers do in our down time.

I will sit in this indoor arena and enjoy the heat. I am feeling a bad cold now, so I am going to do my best not to allow it to consume me. Think positive, right??? Yes, whether its barrels, health, wealth, love or something as simple as cooking (not so simple for me), you must think and hope for the best. I must remind myself constantly.

I love and miss you all so dearly. Thanks again to my amazing sponsors, J.B. Dewar Petroleum, Western Dove, Morinda Car Products, Central Coast Performance Horses and last, but certainly not least my family. Without a single one of any of the above, I am not sure I could hang in here and do this. Some provide funds, others moral support, others items, and all of them love and encouragement. Thanks again.
And for those of you just following along on my adventure, feel free to tell me what you would like to hear more about, or less. I want you to enjoy reading my adventures as much as I enjoy living them.
Until next time, Happy Trails and God Bless!

Sincerely,
Bailey

4 comments:

  1. Bay....it is weird that you can make me smile, laugh and cry tears all at the same time! I couldn't be more proud that you are taking on your dream with a full steam ahead attitude! We are all truly blessed! I love talking to you and hearing all of the day adventures, but it is a hoot to read your blog as well....lol! Keep smiling, think only positive thoughts and cherish this time in your life!! Love, love, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missin you like crazy here in CenCal but boy are we proud! Momma Tuck hit the nail on the head - no one could say it better! Thanks for the call - love chatting and can't wait to hear more when you have time! Good Luck in Ms! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading about your adventures Bailey! Good luck down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bailey,
    Your first month s full of ups and downs. Keep your head up and that smile on your face. You are one amazing Gypsy. We are all proud of you and are behind you 100%. We you have bad days read the "words to ride by" in your blog it will help you get through anything you encounter.Tay's your crutch when you need a helping hand.

    ReplyDelete